Kitchen Update

We've been making slow but steady progress on the kitchen remodel. Since I last posted, the remaining upper cabinets have been removed.


There's a giant pile of broken pieces of cabinet in the driveway. We get eau de old man every time it rains.


I moved the IKEA bookshelves from the kitchen to the guest room. Seems like a good place for the flour and the rice maker. Lesson number one: do not try to move top heavy objects which are taller than you without assistance. Luckily, Dad showed up to provide assistance after I learned lesson number two: top heavy tall IKEA cabinets can withstand an impact load, although the doors not so much. Sigh. We forgot to do it before Travis left for the week, and they have to be moved so the new 36 inch gas stove can be placed in the middle of this blank wall and floor, where I really should have used the dustpan before taking the picture (the gas man comes tomorrow!):


Did a little investigation into flooring options. We've ruled out cork and bamboo because of the scratch factor (chunks of cork would surely go flying everything Kenzie ran into the kitchen from the backyard). We think hand-scraped flooring is our best option and really like this one. There are so many nice looking versions of the same thing, it's hard to say for sure. Since my picture isn't the greatest, we're looking at the autumn maple.


The countertops are a little trickier. We've been leaning toward black quartz countertops. A number of people, however, have told us that they show everything, which probably wouldn't be too great in our household. We liked the Cambrian Black because it was a little more matte and less reflective. Some of the other versions, like a lovely coffee colored countertop, looked a little off in a larger sample and we couldn't quite figure out what to do about the backsplash. We stumbled across the Ocean Blue by Zodiaq and are a little smitten. Here's my attempt at what it might look like on the cabinets:


Feedback welcome and appreciated. Just don't take it personally if we ignore you.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...
September 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM

ohh ohh so many choices and no feedback from me. I have no idea but I know it will look fabulous. :)

Unknown said...
September 14, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Well that's helpful! :)

Shannon said...
September 14, 2009 at 9:43 AM

As you saw in my last house, I had white cabinets with green counters and they looked amazing! I think the blue will look great. And the flooring seems like it will look very good with the white cabinets as well. I don't know about quartz but I do know that matte black marble is very hard to keep up -- you have to wipe down any water or it will spot. The shine helps hide things.

Jen said...
September 14, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I'm partial to the black. :) I'm wondering if the blue, although beautiful, might be hard to match kitchen decor and would be a little too "custom" for resale purposes later down the road.

Jen said...
September 14, 2009 at 9:07 PM

...oh, and I know that smell from the cabinets, I know it well...:)

Unknown said...
September 14, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I'm going to check out some backsplash options and then will make a decision about the blue. I'm hoping for some glass tile that will coordinate (subway pattern). If not, then I'm afraid it will be on the chopping block. :)

Kelly said...
September 14, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Can't wait to see the reveal! :-)

Back to Home Back to Top It's a Wonderful Life. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.